First Team Progress In The Intermediate Cup Against Kilmore Rec

Downpatrick firsts enjoyed victory against another local neighbour this week as they came from behind to meet Kilmore Rec in the second round of the Intermediate Cup

By Joe McStay

Saturday 22nd November 2014 – Intermediate Cup Second Round

Kilmore Rec 3 v Downpatrick 4

Downpatrick gave a virtuoso performance to come from behind in an enthralling Intermediate Cup derby clash at RobertAdamsPark. Some fringe players staked a claim for a starting place in Downpatrick’s line-up for Wednesday nights Border Cup semi-final with Crumlin Star as they teased and tormented Kilmore all afternoon.
Mullan was involved from the outset and with less than a minute gone he got on the end of a free kick from Conor McKenna, but his first time shot flew over the bar. McKenna, who must have run Mullan close for the man of the match award, was extremely influential early on and he won himself a free 25 yards from goal, but Barry Treacy’s strike crashed off the Kilmore wall and was cleared by John Polley.
Downpatrick’s Chris McDowell was the first player into the referee’s note book after a challenge on Sean Bell. A Joe McKinney run and cross gave the Downpatrick defence something to think about, but Matthew Carson was on hand to clear his lines. With 15 minutes gone Matty Hardy burst forward from midfield and let fire, but Michael McKenna couldn’t hold the shot and parried the ball into the path of McKinney who blasted into the net.
It was 2-0 10 minutes later when Sean Bell won a tackle in midfield, bombed forward and released Philip Traynor who did the rest with a predatory strike from six yards out. Downpatrick were now up against it, but enjoyed a sustained period of pressure as Kilmore retreated into a defensive shell. Jack Larkin and Polley seemed to be dealing with all that was thrown at them, but McKenna threaded a peach of a reverse pass into Eoin Boyle and the former Kilmore striker beat Conan Russell to make it 2-1.

Sean Bell was inches away from restoring Kilmore’s two-goal advantage in the 35th minute when his shot from distance skimmed the crossbar and Polly was also unlucky when he too chanced his arm from 30 yards out. Michael McKenna was then quickly off his line to keep Traynor at bay before Hardy blasted an effort just over. At the other end Russell earned his corn with a good save to deny Mullan.

Half Time: Kilmore 2 v Downpatrick 1

McKinney had the first chance of the second half when he was put through by Traynor, but he shot well over. Kilmore continued to ask questions and Traynor and Morrison combined to create a chance for Peter Casey, but he shot over. Mullan’s pace was clearly causing Kilmore problems and it took a timely tackle from McKinney to prevent him from netting the equaliser.

Both sides continued to create chances, but it was Mullan who struck gold when he pounced on a cross from Treacy to make it 2-2. Back came Kilmore and Shane Murray, who had replaced Polley, put the ball on a plate for Johnny Bell to make it 3-2. With 80 minutes gone Mullan put on the burners on and raced through to level matters once again with a brilliant strike.  It was anybody’s game now and with two minutes remaining Andrew Telford settled the issue when he headed in a glorious winner for Downpatrick.

Kilmore Rec: C. Russell, K. Lewis, L. Morrison, J. Larkin, J. Polley, J. Bell, S. Bell, M. Hardy, P. Traynor, J. McKinney, P. Casey. Subs: S. Murray, J. Murphy, M. Miskelly.

Downpatrick: M. McKenna, N. Walsh, C. McDowell, M. Carson, M. Curran, C. McKenna, B. Treacy, A. McCoubrey, C. Mullan, E. Boyle, A. McGarry. Subs: A. Telford, T. Bell, G. Collins.