14’s Secure Three Points To Remain Joint Top

Downpatrick went into this match full of confidence after last weeks superb result and they got off to the best possible start. Downpatrick attacked down the right flank through Philip Doran and Eoin Rooney, Doran sent in a cross which was headed out by the Windmill defence. The ball bounced just outside the box to the advancing Kian Tierney, and with the Downpatrick management shouting for Tierney to control the ball he hit an unstoppable shot from 20 yards out first time and watched as the ball cannoned of the crossbar bounce down on the line and up into the roof of the net to make it 1 – 0 to Downpatrick.

As much as Downpatrick were good in the opening five minutes of the match, they were very poor in the remaining thirty minutes of the first half. Constantly they gave the ball away in good positions with sloppy passes and made the wrong decisions when in possession.

On the stroke of half time Downpatrick were punished for their poor play when a long ball was played over the defence, both the goal keeper and defenders failed to deal with the bouncing ball and this allowed the Windmill striker to bring his side level. 

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 1 v’s Windmill 1

Some words of encouragement and a couple of changes at half time gave the players the kick up the back side they needed and at the start of the second half they were playing with more impetuous and Ruairi Quinn set up Downpatrick’s second goal with an impressive run down the left wing before pulling the ball back to the penalty spot were Doran was on hand to send a left footed shot to the roof of the net.

From this moment on Downpatrick completely outplayed Windmill and it was only a matter of time before they scored again. Quinn again was the catalyst with another great run from midfield, this time he released striker Eoin Rooney who finished with a neat shot to the bottom corner.

Ruairi Quinn completed his hat-trick of assists when he sent over a corner for midfielder Corey McCoubrey to head home. In the dying minutes Brandon Boyd completed the scoring when he set of on a run down the right wing and his cross come shot sailed over the keepers head to make it 5 – 1 to Downpatrick.