Downpatrick Beat Neighbours Killyleagh YC to Reach Border Cup Semi-Final

Killyleagh YC 1 v Downpatrick FC 5 

Downpatrick progressed to the semi-final of the Border Cup for the second year in a row with a comprehensive win over neighbours Killyleagh YC. A lot of credit needs to go to the Killyleagh ground staff for getting the pitch playable after last week’s torrential rain.

Downpatrick started the game better and were quickly into their stride with Andrew Baggley controlling the midfield and supplying the ammunition for the Telford brothers Andrew and Peter up front. In the fifteenth minute mark it was this combination which set up Downpatrick’s first real chance when Peter played the ball through for Andrew only for the Killyleagh keeper to bring him down. The game was delayed for around five minutes as the Killyleagh keeper received treatment and was fortunate only to receive a yellow card for his foul as last man. Barry Treacy placed the ball on the spot but his penalty was poor and the keeper easily saved his spot kick.

Ten minutes later Downpatrick were in front, Blaine Connolly won the ball in the left back position, he quickly played the ball to winger Aaron McGarry who beat right back Johnny Murray and delivered a perfect cross which was flicked on before Andrew Telford dived and headed into the net. Five minutes later Downpatrock doubled their advantage when Treacy delivered a trademark set piece which allowed Mark Holland to head into the net. With half-time approaching Killyleagh had a chance to reduce the defecit but Mark Curran was able to clear of the line with Michael McKenna beaten.

Half-Time: Killyleagh YC 0 v Downpatrick FC 2 

The second half got of to the worst possible start when centre half Holland was involved in a clash of heads and immediately required medical attention. With the help of others Killyleagh physio Brian Strain was on hand to control the situation until the ambulance arrived.

Understandably the game took a while to get going after this incident played on the player’s minds and credit to Killyleagh they tried to exploit this and had a few half chances but were unable to convert. Soon after Downpatrick scored their third goal, good work from Baggley and Gerard Collins allowed Andrew Telford to have a shot on goal and the striker made no mistake with a low finish.

Not to be out done by his brother, Peter got his name on the score sheet after he played a neat one-two with McGarry before shifting the ball onto his left foot and smashed it past the keeper into the net. Killyleagh pulled a goal back when Terence Bell found himself outnumbered at the back post and Stephen Kennedy controlled the ball on his chest and gave McKenna no chance.

Andrew Telford secured his hat-trick with minutes remaining, Chrissie Mullan who tortured the Killyleagh defence after his introduction crossed the ball to Aaron McGarry. McGarry teed up Telford who sent the keeper the wrong way to send his side into the semi-final.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) T Bell 3) B Connolly 4) M Curran 5) M Holland 6) G Collins 7) B Treacy 8) A Baggley 9) P Telford 10) A Telford 11) A McGarry 12) C Mullan 14) E Boyle 15) C McDowell