Downpatrick Firsts Maintain Winning Run

After the midweek exploits the firsts returned to League action and secured all three points, to find out how read more below…

Saturday 29th November – NAFL Division 1A

Downpatrick FC 3 v Dunmurray Rec 0

After Wednesday nights heroics of reaching the Border Cup Semi-Final, Downpatrick were back in league action and looking to pick up another three points and maintain the position at the top of the league. With a few players carrying knocks from midweek the Downpatrick management were forced into making a few changes to the starting line-up.

Downpatrick started off were they left off on Wednesday night in the first half but weren’t able to convert any chances that came there way. The first real chance came via Andrew Telford, he exchanged passes with strike partner Eoin Boyle on the edge of the box before unleashing a super shot which the Dunmurray keeper was equal to, pushing it away for a corner.

Midway through the half Downpatrick had another glorious opportunity to break the deadlock, Niall Walsh won the ball in the right back position, he passed the ball forward to winger Chrissy Mullan who played a one two with Andrew Telford to get in round the back of the Dunmurray defence. Mullan whipped in a great ball into the box which was met by Paul O’Reilly but he pulled his shot wide.

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 0 v Dunmurray Rec 0

The second half started in the same fashion as the first with Downpatrick in control of possession but they had to wait until the 65th minute before breaking the deadlock. Aaron McGarry won the ball on the left wing, beat a couple of players before sending over an inviting cross to the back post were Peter Telford was waiting to nod the ball down for Eoin Boyle to side foot with his left foot into the net.

The game got scrappy after the opening goal with the pitch starting to cut up, it wasn’t until five minutes before full time that Downpatrick secured all three points. Eoin Boyle was fouled from behind about twenty five yards from the goal, substitute Barry Treacy placed the ball before whipping an unstoppable shot into the net with the Dunmurray keeper left rooted to the spot.

Andrew Telford scored Downpatrick’s third of the day in the dying minutes, Downpatrick won a free kick on the right hand side which resulted in the Dunmurray Rec player receiving a second yellow card and his marching orders for a foul on Terence Bell. Treacy fooled everyone with a low cross which Telford met at the near post and side footing into the net at the far post.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) N Walsh 3) C McDowell 4) M Carson 5) B Connolly 6) A Baggley 7) C Mullan 8) P O’Reilly 9) E Boyle 10) A Telford 11) A McGarry 12) B Treacy 14) T Bell 15) P Telford