Downpatrick Stun Holders

DOWNPATRICK claimed the prized scalp of the Border Cup holders with a mesMeric display at Rosconnor to set up mouth-watering, quarter-final clash with Killyleagh in a fortnight’s time.

Albert Foundry had taken a deserved lead in the 37th minute, but they were stalked for the remainder of the game by a voracious Downpatrick side that bewitched their North Belfast opponents with a power-packed performance. Four goals inside a manic 22-minute period left the visitors totally bewildered. Foundry opened the better of the two sides and aided by a blustery wind, they created the first opening when Stuarty Doyle headed an inch perfect cross from Darren McCombe wide of the target. Three minutes later McCombe’s cheeky shot from the edge of the box hit the upright and rolled along the line before being gobbled up by a grateful Michael McKenna.
Downpatrick slowly started to find their feet and Peter Telford burst into the Foundry box where he had his legs clipped, but the referee was unimpressed and waved play on. The visitors continued to play the more constructive football and with 16 minutes gone Mark Holland did well to head the ball off the line after Barry Bloomer got on the end of a long throw.

With 25 minutes gone Holland met a corner from Andrew Telford, but he headed over. A minute later Gerard Collins bombed forward from right back and just kept going and going. Unfortunately, he took the wrong option as he entered the box and the chance was gone. One careless piece of defending in the 37th at a McCombe corner, which should never have been given allowed Bloomer to score.

Downpatrick’s uphill task now got even harder, but they weren’t found wanting. Peter Telford, who had an insatiable appetite for a piece of the action, despite being marked by Graham Beck, took the fight to Albert Foundry and Downpatrick finished the first half on the attack with Andy Baggley and Peter Telford getting shots in.

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 0 v Albert Foundry 1

Downpatrick were denied a second penalty shout three minutes into the second half when Peter Telford’s shot hit John Burns on the hand, but the referee had already blown for a foul in the build-up. The equaliser arrived seven minutes later when Holland’s impeccable timing enabled him to meet a free from Andrew Telford. It was all Downpatrick now and things got even worse for Foundry when Ian West was red carded for a foul on Chris McDowell.

Less than 60 seconds after Graham Beck had hit the woodwork at the other end, before Downpatrick were awarded a penalty when Aaron McGarry was brought down in the box by ‘keeper Steven Cairnduff and Eoin Boyle planted the penalty home with aplomb to make it 2-1. With 68 minutes gone Downpatrick, who were now pressing in packs, worked an overload in the box and McGarry spun on a sixpence before rattling in a ferocious left-footed volley.

Barry Treacy, who gave Downpatrick a different attacking dimension down the right when he came on, warmed Cairnduff’s hands with a stinging shot before Andrew Telford made it 4-1 with a stunning
finish after a flowing move involving McGarry, Treacy and Peter Telford. Foundry was now a spent force and the game ended in acrimony when Beck was red-carded.

Downpatrick: FC: M. McKenna, G. Collins, C. McDowell, M. Holland, C. McKenna, A. Telford, A. Baggley, P. Telford, E. Boyle, A. McGarry. Subs: B. Treacy, T. Bell, N. Walsh.

Match Report by: Charlie McStay