Second Local Derby Victory in Three Days

Downpatrick followed up on their impressive opening day victory over Drumaness with another solid performance against neighbours Ardglass FC, click on the link below to find out how…

Tuesday 11th August – NAFL Premier Section

Downpatrick FC 5 v Ardglass FC 1

Downpatrick faced their second derby match in three days when they welcomed Ardglass to Rosconnor on a sunny Tuesday evening. Having seen of Drumaness on Saturday the ‘Greens’ were looking to do the same to their seaside neighbours. As many predicted Downpatrick came out with plenty of confidence and had several opportunities in the opening five minutes but failed to convert any.

In their first real attack Ardglass broke the deadlock, Downpatrick were punished for conceding a silly free kick and dead ball specialist Liam Mullan delivered a pin point cross for striker Mark Feenan who reacted quickest to get in front of the Downpatrick defence to head the ball home past Downpatrick keeper Michael McKenna. This was as good as it got for Ardglass as Downpatrick stepped up their intensity and were back on level terms within five minutes.

Downpatrick skipper Barry Fitzsimons whipped in a free kick from the right hand side to the back post, the ball was knocked down towards the penalty spot and Christian Holland was on hand to rifle an unstoppable shot into the back of the net. Downpatrick got their noses in front midway through the half, this time Holland turned provider. The left winger whipped in a corner, again Ardglass cleared the ball to around twenty yards out were it was collected by Conail McGrady who struck it first time and the ball was in the back of the net before the Ardglass keeper could even react.

On the half our mark Downpatrick doubled their advantage, McGrady collected the ball on the right wing before beating three or four Ardglass players and got to the by-line. The winger pulled the ball back into the centre of the Ardglass box were striker Stephen Galbraith was waiting to smash the ball into the bottom corner of the net. By this stage of the game Downpatrick were in complete control, enjoying plenty of possession and ten minutes later they extended their lead with a fourth goal. This goal was a carbon copy of the third except Ardglass old boy Ricky Kerr was the provider, he mesmerised the Ardglass defence with some fancy footwork before laying the ball back to Galbraith who sent the ball to the opposite corner of the net.

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 4 v Ardglass FC 1

Any ambition Ardglass may have had in the second half of getting themselves back into the game was quickly put to bed within three minutes, Downpatrick applied some early pressure and Ardglass were forced to concede a corner. Galbraith crossed the ball in from the right hand side with his left foot and veteran Mark Holland timed his run perfectly to head the ball into the back of the net for his second in two games.

The remainder of the game was over as a contest with Downpatrick controlling most of the proceedings, Ardglass’ only threat was on the break with the trio of Mullan, Stephen Deegan and Mark Feenan but Downpatrick rearguard of Chris McDowell, Holland, Niall Walsh, Fitzsimons and keeper McKenna were to strong for anything that came their way. With the game entering the final twenty minutes Downpatrick were able to give some important game time to youngsters Conail Kerr, Conor McCarron and Ryan Fitzpatrick who was making his senior debut for the club.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) B Fitzsimons 3) C McDowell 4) M Holland 5) N Walsh 6) C McGrady 7) A McGarry 8) A Baggley 9) S Galbraith 10) R Kerr 11) C Holland 12) C Kerr 14) R Fitzpatrick 15) C McCarron