Shields Scores Four To Secure Three Points

The under 15’s continue their quest for a league title with an impressive performance away to Newcastle, click on the link to read more…

Saturday 25th March – Downpatrick Youth Football League under 15’s

Newcastle FC 2 v Downpatrick FC 7

A glorious sunny morning, at the foot of the Mournes, greeted the boys after a lengthy period of no competitive matches. The boys needed to be alert as Newcastle had danger men and nothing should be taken for granted. From the whistle, the midfield of Ethan Breen, Jack Fitzsimons and Conail Gadiner pushed forward with controlled play.

Capitalising on the width of the pitch, striker Andrew McClean passed to winger Luke Shields, who banged in Downpatrick’s first goal on ten minutes. Attack after attack came with Shields, McClean and Ethan Artt causing the Newcastle defence a major headache. On 19 minutes, the ball cut to the left from Breen and Shields seeing the goal keeper off his line, lobbed into the net with a cheeky calculated goal.

Two minutes later, Newcastle countered and cut through to score their first. This was to be the flame that lit the fire under Downpatrick and they wanted to punish Newcastle. Goals came on 24 & 27 minutes from Luke Shields to make his tally 4 for the day. Fitzsimons thumped in a 20 yard strike before the ever resourceful Gardiner scored Downpatrick’s sixth goal on the stroke of half time.

Half Time: Newcastle FC 1 v Downpatrick FC 6

Instructions at half time and a change in positions and personnel frustrated Newcastle, their heads already down, the play became scrappy and fouls abounded.  Artt, switched to the striker role made multiple runs and set plays but just couldn’t find the back of the net on the day. The defence in front of their goal keeper Matthew Killen, maintained their discipline with Liam Toner, Colin Jones, Brian Kennedy and Gregory Kelly doing what it says on the tin and clearing the ball when the opposition managed to break through.

Neat footwork led from Rian McShane down the left wing on 42 minutes, the ball was picked up by Artt who struck, it rebounded out and Fitzsimons picked it up and scored his 2nd. Newcastle managed a consolation goal on 50mins but the rest of the half was lethargic and uncontrolled. The Newcastle boys couldn’t address the first half drilling given to them by a controlled and disciplined Downpatrick side.