Two Points Thrown Away In Five Minutes Of Madness

Downpatrick travelled to Dundonald looking to secure three valuable points to move closer to securing the Division 1A title. Although promotion was achieved at the weekend despite suffering defeat at the hands of Abbey Villa, Downpatrick’s title aspirations are still in their own hands. For 85 minutes Downpatrick played superbly but 5 minutes of sheer madness saw them blow a 3 goal lead, click on the link to find out more…

Tuesday 21st April – NAFL Division 1A

Dundonald FC 3 v Downpatrick FC 3

In the opening half hour Downpatrick created a number of chances but Eoin Boyle and Andrew Telford were unable to convert. Both players combined on 35 minutes to put Downpatrick 1 nil up, a Christian Holland free kick was played deep to the back post, Boyle rose highest to knock it down for the waiting Telford who calmly side footed the ball to the back of the net.

Dundonald did have several half chances but a combination of smart defending from Terence Bell, Christian Holland, Barry Fitzsimons, Mark Holland and goal keeper Michael McKenna kept them scoreless. McKenna in particular was on his toes to smother any chances that Dundonald had.

Half Time: Dundonald FC 0 v Downpatrick FC 1

In the second half Downpatrick were comfortable in possession, they were passing the ball around with an air of confidence. Striker Eoin Boyle picked up the ball just outside the Dundonald box and before he could be closed down he hit a shot into the bottom corner of the net to double Downpatrick’s advantage.

Midway through the half Boyle scored his second of the game, Barry Treacy sent over a dangerous cross which caused confusion in the Dundonald defence, the ball was only half cleared and Boyle was on hand to volley the ball to the back of the net. Downpatrick were guilty of wasting a few chances which would prove to be costly.

As the game entered the final five minutes Dundonald scored their first goal, a dangerous free kick from the left wing wasn’t dealt with by the Downpatrick goal keeper Michael McKenna and their striker was able to tap the ball into the net from two yards. With only two minutes remaining the deficit was reduced to one goal. This time a free kick was taken from the right wing and again the Downpatrick defence failed to clear and Dundonald were on hand to score at the back post.

As the game was in injury time the unthinkable happened, a defence splitting pass allowed the Dundonald striker to round the advancing McKenna and as Barry Fitzsimons attempted to get back to clear the ball he was judged to have pulled back the striker leaving the referee with no option but to point to the spot. The Dundonald striker made no mistake with the penalty to earn his side the unlikeliest of points.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) T Bell 3) C Holland 4) B Fitzsimons 5) M Holland 6) A Baggley 7) B Treacy 8) N Walsh 9) A Telford 10) E Boyle 11) A McGarry 12) C McCarron 14) C McDowell 15) C Mullan