14’s Progress to Semi-Finals

Downpatrick started the game playing into a strong breeze, but within the opening minutes they came to terms with it, Brandon Boyd won the ball in the middle of the park, he then played the ball out to left back Adam Jervis who then released Eoin Rooney with a perfect pass. Rooney controlled the ball and raced clear of the Portadown defence to coolly finish and leave the keeper with no chance.

As the first half wore on Portadown came more into the game using the wind to their advantage and playing high balls over the Downpatrick defence, goalkeeper Shane Campbell was very alert and time and time again he was quick out of his area to put a stop to any threat on his goal.

With ten minutes to go in the half Portadown won a corner, a deep cross was played into the back post but Tom Smyth was on hand to divert a header out for another cross. Again the wind had a part to play with the second corner causing the ball to hang in the air and the Downpatrick defence were punished for not clearing their area and the Portadown number nine was able to head the ball into the net.

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 1 v Portadown Youth 1

Downpatrick started the half quickly, right back Kyle McKeever took a quick throw in to Corey McCoubrey who returned the pass, McKeever then played a high cross into the box for Rooney to swivel and catch it on the volley for his second goal to put Downpatrick back into the lead. A lead which they wouldn’t lose again.

Straight from the restart Downpatrick won the ball back through Kian Tierney, he played the ball out to Declan Looney. Looney drove down the left wing into the Portadown box, he found Ruairi Quinn on the edge of the box, who then coolly finished into the top corner to make it 3 – 1.

Downpatrick were now in control, they were moving the ball with ease, their defence looking solid and they kept setting up attack after attack. Tom Smyth stepped out with the ball, he found Quinn in midfield who sent a high pass down the right wing to Looney and he beat his man and drove to edge of the area and set up the prolific Rooney to slide the ball home for his hat-trick.

Again playing out from the defence Downpatrick were playing some lovely football, Smyth received the ball from Tierney and he then released Quinn down the left wing, at full pace Quinn beat 2 men in the heart of the Portadown defence before cutting back and coolly finishing into the bottom corner for his second of the day.

Ruairi Quinn then turned provider with another confident run down the left wing, he beat his man and crossed for substitute Michael McStay to score Downpatrick’s sixth of the day. Downpatrick were determined to add to their tally and the hungry Rooney won the ball in midfield, he had 2 defenders closing him down and with a great piece of skill he side stepped one and brushed past the other, as he drove at the keeper he waited on the keeper to make his first move and then he slotted home for his fourth of the day.

In the dying minutes Portadown pressed in search of a consolation goal, Campbell made a few great save, he collected the ball and raced to edge of his box and with a long clearance he found Rooney on the halfway line, Rooney had only one thought in his mind to drive for goal, he raced at the keeper and finished well for his fifth of the day to complete the scoring and make it 8 – 1.