Convincing Win For The 15’s

The under 15’s returned to winning ways on Saturday with a convincing victory over Newcastle, click on the link below to find out how they done it…

Saturday 22nd October – Downpatrick Youth Football League under 15’s

Newcastle FC 3 v Downpatrick FC 7

After a delayed start of half an hour, Downpatrick were up for this after the narrow defeat to Coney Island the previous week.  From the start, Downpatrick pushed forward and with sustained pressure by the attacking midfield of Ethan Breen, Jack Fitzsimons, Ruairi Murphy and Colin Jones. The third decisive attack was rewarded on 4 minutes with neat passing from Luke Shields and Breen allowing Jones to knock in the first goal of the day. 

A strike by Fitzsimons on 9 minutes wasn’t cleared and Shields followed up with his first to make it two nil. Not long after, a break by Newcastle wasn’t cleared and they got one back. This incensed Downpatrick and the next 10 minutes were unrelenting with Fitzsimons leading the offensive with a series of shots and free kicks. Rian McShane came on for Murphy and this brought new impetus down the wing and in the 24th minute a free kick from Fitzsimons rebounded and Shields was there again to clear up making it 3 – 1 at the break. 

Half Time: Newcastle FC 1 v Downpatrick FC 3

From the restart, Downpatrick wanted it more and a brilliant pass from Breen was banged in by Shields for his hat-trick. Almost immediately a resurgent Newcastle got one back making 4-2.  This game wasn’t over yet! The next period of play was a hard fought game of attack and counter attack with Downpatrick strikers being caught out a number of times by the off side trap.

Subs brought in fresh legs with Ciaran McGlennon and Caolan McKeown pushing forward. Matthew Killen in goal was being kept busy and showed bravery on a number of occasions by coming out and taking on the Newcastle strikers one on one, risking injury but holding his own each time. On 17 minutes, the ball fell to striker Ethan Artt who cleared the Newcastle off side line and ran from the half way line and confidently banged in Downpatrick’s 5th.  On 21minutes, Fitzsimons was rewarded for his efforts by solo run down the right hand side, cutting in and giving the goal keeper no chance by slotting in the right hand side of the net. With Newcastle tiring, a poor kick out was swept up by Artt who scored his second of the game on 28 minutes. A conciliation goal for Newcastle on 29 minutes finished an enjoyable match to watch, with Downpatrick winning 7 – 3.