First Team Come From Behind To Share The Spoils

Downpatrick firsts had to recover from two goals down at half time to secure a point away to Barn, read below to find out how they done this…

Saturday 6th December – NAFL Division 1A

Barn United 3 v Downpatrick FC 3

Downpatrick travelled to Carrickfergus on Saturday hoping to pick up another three points in their quest to gain promotion back to the Premier Division and by the end of the match they were relieved and disappointed at the same time to come away with a point.

Downpatrick produced as poor a performance as they could in the first half, constantly making the wrong decision and taking too many touches. Barn’s first goal came after a mix up in the visitors defence, a poor back pass put goal keeper Michael McKenna in trouble and he tried to take it round the advancing striker only to be dispossessed, leaving the striker with the simplest of tasks to tap into an empty net.

Ten minutes later Barn doubled their advantage with a spectacular goal which gave McKenna no chance in the Downpatrick nets. The ball was played up from the back, the Barn striker controlled and spun Blaine Connolly before unleashing an unstoppable shot which flew into the top corner. Downpatrick did have a couple of chances of their own in the first half, Barry Treacy and Terence Bell combined down the right wing, Treacy crossed the ball into the box were Chrissie Mullan was waiting but Mullan somehow put the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Half Time: Barn United 2 v Downpatrick FC 0

In the second half Downpatrick came out with more purpose and looked a totally different team compared to the first half. On the hour mark they pulled a goal back, Treacy again produced a superb cross from the right hand side and Eoin Boyle was on hand to poke the ball home. Barn went further in front almost straight from the kick off, centre was taken and the ball was played forward to their striker who drew a foul from centre half Blaine Connolly. The free kick was played into the box and the Barn player nipped in first to knock the ball past the helpless McKenna.

With twenty minutes remaining Downpatrick scored their second of the game, left back Aaron McGarry played the ball to winger Mullan who went on a mazy run and beat three Barn players before cutting in from the left and hitting a shot which beat the goal keeper at his near post. Five minutes later the sides were level after Barry Treacy scored one of his trademark free kicks from nearly 25 yards out.

Downpatrick had chances to win the game including a glorious chance for Boyle who missed with an instinctive header after free kick from Treacy bounced in front of the keeper and he palmed it into the path of the oncoming Boyle. The management duo of Kevin Trueman and Joe McMahon were relieved to get a point after the first half showing but disappointed that they didn’t bring home all three points after the chances they created in the second half.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) T Bell 3) A McGarry 4) N Walsh 5) M Carson 6) A Baggley 7) B Treacy 8) P Telford 9) A Telford 10) E Boyle 11) C Mullan 12) G Trueman 14) C McGrady 15) A McCoubrey