Seconds Progress to Fourth Round of Harry Clarke Cup

Downpatrick Seconds progressed to the next round of this years Harry Clarke Cup by beating Drumaness Mills. Click on the linK below to reacd more…

Saturday 24th January – NADAFL Harry Clarke Cup 4th Round

Downpatrick FC 2 v Drumaness Mills 2nds 1

Downpatrick progressed to the fourth round of the Harry Clarke Cup on Saturday thanks to a hard fought win over neighbours Drumaness Mills 2nds. Downpatrick will now travel to BearPark in Newcastle to take on Tollymore this Saturday. 

Downpatrick got of to the best possible start when they opened the scoring within the opening two minutes of the game. Ace marksman Sean McMahon received a pass from Stevie Hughes before he composed himself to lob the advancing Drumaness keeper.

Within five minutes Drumaness were on level terms, a long ball into the box caused panic among the Downpatrick defence, with a number of Downpatrick players having the opportunity to clear the ball. However a sliced clearance meant the ball found its way to the Drumaness striker who’s first time shot gave Robbie Hagan in the home teams net no chance. Drumaness had the opportunity to go in front when their centre forward was through on goal but Hagan was quick of his line to gather the ball at the feet of the Drumaness player.

Half Time: Downpatrick FC 1 v Drumaness Mills 2nds 1

Both sides cancelled each other out at the beginning of the second half with both midfields trying to gain control of the match. Neither side managed to create any goal scoring opportunities until Downpatrick regained the lead with fifteen minutes to go. Centre Half Paul O’Reilly collected the ball on the edge of the centre circle, he set of on a solo run before passing the ball to Conail Kerr. Kerr hit a first time shot with his left foot into the top corner leaving the Drumaness keeper rooted to the spot.

As expected Drumaness piled on the pressure in the final ten minutes but the Downpatrick defence of David Telford, O’Reilly, Chris Curran and Neil Young were able to handle anything thrown at them. The only real chance Drumaness had in those final minutes was a shot from the edge of the box which Robbie Hagan tipped onto the crossbar and ensured Downpatrick progressed to the next round.