First Team Secures Three Points on their Travels

The first team played their first competitive game since the Christmas defeat in the Border Cup Final, read more below to find out how they secured three points.

Saturday 24th January – NAFL Division 1A

Dunmurray Rec 1 v Downpatrick FC 2

Downpatrick travelled to Ashley Park on Saturday having not played a competitive fixture since the Border Cup Final at Christmas looking for three points to maintain their pursuit of securing promotion back to the Premier League.

Downpatrick started off on the front foot and enjoyed playing on the large pitch, they enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening fifteen minutes with strikers Eoin Boyle and Andrew Telford having a couple of half chances but they were unable to convert. Then on the fifteenth minute Mark Curran took the ball out of defence and spotted the home side playing a high line he played an inch perfect ball over the top for midfielder Aaron McGarry to run onto. McGarry controlled the ball before calmly lobbing the advancing Dunmurray keeper to give Downpatrick a deserved lead.

Half Time: Dunmurray Rec 0 v Downpatrick FC 1 

Downpatrick controlled the game in the second half but weren’t able to turn their possession into goals and Dunmurray were always a threat when the game remained 1 nil. Boyle had a glorious chance to double Downpatrick’s advantage midway through the half but he saw his effort well saved by the Dunmurray keeper.

Downpatrick had to wait until fifteen minutes before the final whistle to score their second goal. Terence Bell had the ball in the right back position, he played the ball into the feet of Andrew Telford who was able to turn on the half way line. As he carried the ball forward substitute Conail McGrady made a run and was picked out by Telford. Still with the keeper to beat McGrady teased the keeper before slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

Dunmurray to their credit didn’t give up and with five minutes remaining pulled a goal back. They won a corner which they took short, the ball was crossed in and with the Dunmurray striker missing the ball it was left to Chris McDowell to slice his clearance past the stranded Michael McKenna in the Downpatrick nets. Downpatrick held firm in the remaining minutes to secure an important three points.

Downpatrick: 1) M McKenna 2) T Bell 3) B Connolly 4) M Holland 5) M Curran 6) A McCoubrey 7) B Treacy 8) A McGarry 9) E Boyle 10) A Telford 11) C Holland 12) C McDowell 14) C McGrady 15) P Telford